Consulting with our SEN Pupils, Parents & Carers
Consultation with Children and Young People with SEND
Teachers/SENCO and Support Staff will work with children and young people to identify the support needed to meet agreed outcomes. The provision is planned and interventions are allocated to individual needs. The children take an active role with setting their outcomes and discussing them with the class teacher/SENCO. The children have regular meetings with staff to discuss their progress and support.
Consultation with parents and carers of children and young people with SEND
We are committed to working with parents and carers to identify their child’s needs and support required. Parents and carers will be involved throughout the process.
There are a range of ways this can be done, for example:
- Termly parent/ carer evenings
- Ongoing discussions with a class teacher and/or SENCO
- An ‘open-door’ policy, where parents and carers are welcome to come into school to discuss any concerns they may have
- Through regular reviews of their child’s SEN Support Plan/ EHC Plan.
- Capturing Pupils’ voice at regular opportunities, including quotes on Support Plans
- Capturing Parents’ Voice through questionnaires, quotes on Support Plan reviews and informal discussions
Inclusive practice begins with the child, their family and the school working in close partnership together. Here are some comments from parents about SEND provision and support at Pittington Primary School:-